Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lines on a Plane

It's been almost two years since Snakes on a Plane.  A good, fun, low-mental-energy B movie, and in fact a meta-movie if you know the back story.  At its heart is one very good line, delivered by the inimitable Samuel L. Jackson:  I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!
I saw that one on the big screen and almost immediately had an idea for a fun little web project.  I spent a very long weekend tweaking some fairly complicated CSS to get just the look I wanted; and I made sure at every step that it worked in Firefox and Safari.
I figured I could just conform it to Internet Explorer at the end, with a little help from Quirksmode.  What was I thinking?  When I looked at it in IE, I wanted to cry.  Partly because I realized it would take another whole weekend to make it work, and partly because I was reminded that wed designers still have to worry about that scourge, that rat-faced imbecile of a browser.
Anyway, long story short:  I didn't make any noise about the project because I thought I'd eventually get around to making it work in IE.  But now I don't care: it's a funny little project and Internet Explorer is the devil anyway.  It still seems to work in Safari and Firefox, and is probably broken in Explorer.
The project:
Lines on a Plane - what should Samuel L. Jackson say in the sequel to Snakes on a Plane?
Check it out.  Be funny.

No comments: